Happy to be Scrappy

Happy to be Scrappy

Monday, April 28, 2014

I made a little progress on my Shakespeare in the Park quilt top this weekend.  I didn't realize how much more cutting I needed to do.  There were all of the setting triangles and squares still to cut.  So that was how I spent a couple of hours Saturday morning.

According to the pattern directions I was supposed to cut parallelograms and then sub-cut them into triangles. Not going to happen.  In the first place they were to be cut 4 7/8" wide.  I don't like 7/8" of anything.  And since I am doing this scrappy I needed twenty fabrics to get two of each.  Anyway, I cut the first one per the directions so I would have a sample and then I cut the rest my way.
Yes, Judy Martins's parallelogram made great triangles.  But it was a whole lot more work than cutting a 4 3/4" strip and using the Companion Angle ruler.
The 4 3/4" still isn't a great size to cut and have leftovers.  But it's easier to see that mark on a ruler than the 7/8" mark.
After cutting all of the setting pieces that left me laying it all out.  What became very apparent was that this wasn't going to lay out on my bed.  So it ended up on the living room floor. Thank goodness, or I would have been sleeping on the floor. :) The last thing I want to do is lay this out again.
That is a Cabbage Patch doll in a high chair on the left.
I know two pictures aren't necessary but looking at it from both directions helps me to confirm that the blocks are set right and that it made the pattern it was supposed to make.
Sadly, these two rows were all I was able to get put together.  And yes, the rest of it is still spread out on the living room floor.  Guess what I'll be working on when I get home.

Happy sewing,

Julie







No comments: