Happy to be Scrappy

Happy to be Scrappy

Monday, October 17, 2016

Almost done.  Just a couple of short rows. And then the decision on what color of binding.


Saturday, October 15, 2016

Okay, time to slow down a minute.  Should have known when my quilt felt like it was dragging that there was a reason.

Oh, well.  That's what seam rippers are for.


Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Last night I had the opportunity to see Kaffe Fassett give a lecture on color.  He did a great job describing how the things he sees influence his choice of color.
I really couldn't say how long he spoke.  There wasn't a moment that I wanted to stop listening and look at the time.  Nothing at all what I expected.  Very entertaining.  We were sitting about 15' away from the stage. So close that there was no chance we were going to miss a thing.
There may have been a few, okay more than a few, people in the audience laugh or gasp when he shared his opinion of the colors of Thimbleberries. Let's just say it's not the highest.

He graciously signed all the books that were brought to him and continued to answer questions that were asked.

All in all I'd have to say it was a very good evening. The evening was made even better because I spent it with my daughter (a non-quilter, but an artist nonetheless) and my sister ( a proficient quilter).

Happy sewing,


Friday, September 9, 2016

I'm told that I need to update my blog.  I don't really understand why writing a new post has been so difficult for me but it has.  This is the first time I've logged in to my blog since March.  When the blog came up there was a comment that was awaiting moderation.  The comment was from September 3, 2015. The day before we took mom to the hospital and found out she'd had a stroke. I'm sure it hadn't automatically posted because there were so many typos in the comment.  Mom had written the comment and apparently she was already having stroke related issues. I went ahead and approved the comment. I wouldn't have deleted it for a million dollars.  But it just reinforces to me how much my world has changed in the last year.  Mom is doing well right now but has had numerous challenges to face. She, of course,  has her good days and bad days. After all she's 85 years old. One thing she doesn't do any more is quilt. Nor does she talk about quilting.  So that changed my quilting world too. However,  I am still sewing. So I'll move on to why I started this post.

This is such a horrible election year. But one thing I do feel strongly about is voting. Whether I want to vote or not. That prompted me to start a political quilt.

My picture is, as always, terrible but it gives a clue where I'm going with my design.  This started with the elephant and donkey.  Then I made the borders.  I've been trying to use up some of my orphan blocks like the bow ties and stars in the picture.  And now I'm making some blocks to fill it in.  This weekend I'm hoping to get the center put together.  If I don't get working on it the election will be over.  If that happens at least I'd have four more years to work on it.

Happy quilting.


Friday, March 4, 2016

Happy Birthday Grace

My granddaughter Grace turned 8 on February 26th.  She is growing up and changing so fast.  It seems to go faster then it did with my own two kids.

Grace's "I Am" Quilt
I finally finished the pink quilt I started last January and gave it to Grace.  I spent a lot of time on this quilt.  Each row is made up of 4" blocks with a few spacers added in to make the rows come out even.  No, I didn't think to take a picture of the whole quilt.  But the pictures with Grace in them will always mean more to me anyway.

Reading the label.

Under Construction

It is so nice to have finished something that hopefully will bring her a lot of  joy.

Happy Friday!


Thursday, February 18, 2016

Allison's Third Birthday

Our sweet little Allison turned three on the 10th. She had been given a doll like an American Girl doll for Christmas so it was time for her to get some doll clothes of her own.

I used several of the fabrics Allison and Grace had gifted me for Christmas which worked out great.

It bugs me that the patterns often have the closures
on the back.  I wish I had thought of that before I
finished making the blue shirt and dress.  I would
have made them a little different so that the Velcro
and snaps looked like they belonged on the front.
And to Allison they do belong on the front.  I
certainly won't tell her any different.

All dressed.
Birthday Postcard From Grandma

Happy birthday to Allison. Now on to Grace's birthday on the 26th. I better hurry up and get finished with her presents.

Happy sewing,


Wednesday, January 20, 2016


For Christmas I made my daughter Jen and daughter-in-law Victoria casserole carriers and potholders.  By now I should be used to the dark pictures my camera takes but alas, I'm not.  It probably has more to do with the lighting in my house and not the camera.  Anyway, here are the gifts I made.
Victoria's casserole carrier with two potholders.
Lining fabric.

Jen's casserole carrier with two potholders
Lining fabric.
The potholders were made using patterns from Lori Holt's book Farm Girl Vintage.  I didn't use her potholder directions though.  They were too large for my liking.  Basically the same just not as wide of a border.  The carriers are a conglomeration of a couple of free patterns I found searching the web.   Both sets turned out great.  And I certainly had fun making them.  One of Jen's potholders was supposed to be a sheep but it required some hand stitching and by the time I did that it was no longer fit to be a gift.  Some day I'll learn.

Happy sewing,