Happy to be Scrappy

Happy to be Scrappy

Friday, September 21, 2012

Apple Butter

This morning I started out picking apples from my sister's trees.  And once again I picked too much fruit.  When it gets picked I have a hard time just leaving it sitting there.  And it sure doesn't look like too much when it's in those two little baskets.  Thank goodness I didn't use the laundry basket that I took with me just in case.  I would still be canning.


There are apples from three different variety of trees.  Not too many red ones though.  And I'm glad I didn't pick any more of the red than I did.  They were too hard and took longer to cook.


First batch cooking.  It sure smelled good in my kitchen.  It smelled even better once they were cooked and squished through the sieve.  (Is that the right word?)  Then I added the cinnamon and the aroma was heavenly. 


And here is the sum of my day.  There are 19 half pints, 2 pints and the extra ready to go in the fridge.  I'm pretty sure I'll be making biscuits in the morning to go with my apple butter.  Yum

And there are yet another six apples that will be some kind of dessert for tomorrow.  NO MORE COOKING TODAY!

Julie

No comments: