Happy to be Scrappy

Happy to be Scrappy

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

I have the center done on my Celtic Solstice.  But no picture today to prove it.  In the middle of putting that together I decided that my granddaughter Allison needed her first doll quilt from Grandma for her first birthday.

So this is what I put together for her. I don't know the name of this block.  I call it a pinwheel variation.  These blocks are 4" each.  And no, I don't believe I'll be making enough of them for a big quilt.  Sixteen was probably enough for me.

Here is a closer picture.  The yellow is a little darker than the top picture and a little lighter than the bottom.  Somewhere in between.  And no, don't look at my binding corners.  I don't think I will ever get good at making a corner.  And yes I have tried.  And yes, they probably are better than my first efforts.  But they are no where as good as my sister Cathy can do.  Anyway, I just did some simple quilt in the ditch on this.  The blocks are so small and after all it's just a doll quilt.  So hopefully it will get thrown around and used a lot.

I have spent quite a bit of time trying to decide what to do for Allison on her birthday that is something special.  For Grace I do a quilted postcard each year.  You can see one of the postcards here.  I didn't want the same for Allison.  So this is what I came up with.  If you can't read the card - it says:  "I want to give you a bouquet of flowers for your birthday.  Here is your first one.  Save this one and some day you will have a whole bunch."  Silly, I know.  But the plan is that when she turns 16 or 18 she and I can make a quilt out of the blocks I have given her for her birthdays.  And as shown, each of hers will have some kind of 12" flower block.

Allison and her birthday muffin.


Well off to start on something else.

Happy sewing,

Julie




No comments: