Happy to be Scrappy

Happy to be Scrappy

Monday, February 9, 2015

Pink Progress

Any progress is exciting to me.  And this weekend I finally made some progress on putting together a few of the quilt rows.
Grace's "I Am" quilt progress.
Isn't it coming together great?  This was just what I had in mind when I started thinking about doing this quilt.  I've been calling it Grace's "I Am" quilt.  I started thinking of it as a "You Are" quilt.  But I don't want her to read "You are beautiful.", I want her to read "I am beautiful".

Right now each of the rows finishing measurements are 4" x 60".  I plan to add a narrow inside border and a wider outer border to make it a twin size quilt.

This is what the rows looked like Saturday morning.
See where I had spacers on some of the ends and not on others?  Nope, I didn't like that.  So all of those had to be removed and that amount had to be added in the row.  All of the figuring I had done the week before wasn't going to work.  I did a lot of ripping and resewing.  But it was well worth it to make it look like I wanted instead of just what what was easier to do.

I also made quite a few 4" setting blocks.  So far each of the rows has different setting blocks.  I think I've come up with enough different patterns that none of the rows will be the same.  That means I'll have quite a few leftovers from the little blocks I've already made.  Maybe they can go into the border or on the back.  Since my planning hasn't made it that far there is still time for that decision later.

Here are a few more of the filler blocks I made Saturday.

One row of the flying geese blocks have already been used to the left of the word "Sweet". I'm hoping to fit them in here and there.  Otherwise, I'll just make enough that they will be on their own row with a word or words.  I really like the small block to the right of the flying geese.  It is a "Jack in the Box" block.  I've made quite a few of them before.  This time I just made the sizes smaller to end up with a 4" block.  The butterfly blocks are with the word "Daughter"  That bright pink polka dot was some of the yard sale fabric I found at a church sale a few months ago.  There is only a small piece of it.  The butterfly pattern is all over the web right now as it's quite popular.  My directions for it came from a free pattern Lori Holt had on her blog in a row by row quilt. One of these days I'm going to have enough bright colored fabrics to make that quilt.  The pattern for it can now be found in her book "Quilty Fun".

And there you have my Saturday in a nutshell.  I spent half of it ripping and resewing and the other half making very small blocks.  And to top it off I spent a couple of hours at a Minnie Mouse birthday party for my granddaughter Allison.
Allison at the zoo.
This week I'm going to link up with Judy at Patchwork Times since I haven't done that for a while.  

Have a great Monday!

Julie

3 comments:

Podunk Pretties said...

This quilt is so adorable, I'm loving watching it come together!

Diane Harris, Stash Bandit said...

Julie, I love this quilt! And your Grace is going to love it, too. What a special treasure it will be. I can't wait to see the finish.

Lorna McMahon said...

This is fabulous! So happy and bright. The blocks and words are happy and fun. I can see why you've been enjoying working on this!