Happy to be Scrappy

Happy to be Scrappy

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Saturday was the day we (Mom, sister Cathy and I) head to Quilting on the Square in Holton for our block of the month.  This time I invited my five year old granddaughter Grace to go along.  I don't really think she was very impressed with the hour long ride to get up there but she never complained.  We did read ALL of the signs along the highway for a good stretch on the way back home though.  I think even she was getting bored with reading the mile markers.  When I asked her to go she got all excited because she wanted to buy some fabric to make her sister Allison a "warm, soft" blanket.  Well that meant fleece and I knew we weren't going to find that at the quilt shop.  So a stop in Topeka at Joann's was next.  We went through all of the fleece skipping over anything that wasn't pink.  Surprisingly, leaving quite a bit to select from.  Grace chose the front and back herself. She was smiling the entire time.  Then when we were back in the car and ready to leave she looked through the front window of the store and saw the black and pink zebra stripe.  We had somehow missed it.  After being told she might be able to make another blanket sometime she forgot all about that and moved on to the next thing her five year old mind took her to.

By Monday evening this is what she had.



I understand she had quite a bit of help from mom.  But to me that will always be her first big project.  The next is to be a changing table cover for the baby's room.  We picked out flannel from my stash for that.  She got a little sewing machine for her fifth birthday and can't wait to use it.  I must admit I was a little disappointed to hear that she already had one.  Two years ago during an after Christmas sale I picked up a sewing machine for her.  The box said age seven.  So I was patiently waiting.  Little did I know she'd get the bug at age five.

Happy sewing,

Julie



 

No comments: