Happy to be Scrappy

Happy to be Scrappy

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A Few Things To Show Off

I still have the same thing going on my design wall. The 3" nine patches set with browns and yellows.  I have made very little progress there.  I've just been making more nine patches. There are about 100 more to work with now but far from enough.


I did however, finish my "Easy Street" mystery quilt top that was designed by Bonnie Hunter. You can find the directions to that quilt here .  It did seem like I was never going to get this one to the flimsy stage.  But I took to work on at our sew-in day so I was able to get most of the blocks finished there in marathon fashion.


As can be seen, I used orange, green and purple for my main colors.  It is not one of my favorites but it did turn out alright.  She may have called it Easy Street but there are still a lot of pieces that went into this quilt.


Here is a close up of a section of the quilt top.

I also want to show off the Super Mario Brothers quilt I made for Zach.  Hopefully you can see in the picture how the top three blocks are larger that the other 12.  I, of course, wanted my quilt to look different than everyone else's quilt.  In hind sight that may not have been the best idea.  Since, Mario and Luigi are so large and go right to the edge, when this lays on the bed, they hang over the side.   The other blocks do too.  But it seems to distort them more.  And I'm probably the only one who would even worry or think about that.


 I don't know why I thought this quilt was so huge.  It's just a normal queen size. It's about 92 long by 82 wide.  I probably felt it was larger than normal because it is so heavy with all of those seams.


Forgive my ignorance of ALL things Super Mario.  Luckily I was able to go back to the website that tells all of the characters names.  Top left is Mario himself. In the top middle is Piranha Plant.  On the bottom left is a Treasure Chest. The brown guy is Goomba.


Top right is Luigi. (On my quilt the only thing different about Mario and Luigi is the direction they face and the color of their shirts.) The red thing is called Shy Guy. And on the right is a Cloud.


Here on the top left is a Pipe block. The orange thing is Spiny Shell.  On the bottom left is Mushroom.  And of course that's a Star.


This picture has a turtle called Koopa Troopa.  A Question Mark block.  The bottom left is a Fire Flower.  And the bottom right is a Turtle Shell block.

And there you have it.  If you want to make your own Super Mario quilt I suggest you just Google that very thing.  That's what I did.  The first site that was very helpful to me was Cut To Pieces .
She actually did a sew-a-long for her quilt.  On that site you can find most of the blocks I have here.  As for the other blocks I just looked around the web and found the rest. 

This quilt has quite a bit of color. And of course, you could make it as colorful as you want.  But I must say it was a very tedious quilt to make since it is nothing but squares and matching seams.  I do love how the sashing turned out.  And if you'll biggy size the pictures you can see that I put long strips next to my colorful sashing.  That way I didn't have to match those seams. You'll also be able to see that I quilted it using a cross hatch pattern.  I used a variegated gray and black thread.

On to the next project.

Happy sewing,

Julie

No comments: