Happy to be Scrappy

Happy to be Scrappy

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Not a Block of the Month

It is already Wednesday, August 29th and I need to have two of my three block of the month blocks done by Saturday morning at 8:00.  I have made one.  It's the block for Baldwin City.  The center was supposed to have an anvil type pattern but I didn't care for that at all.  So I turned the black blocks around to give a friendship star pattern.  I don't think that's the first time I've done that.

This one has pretty wild colors but it will fit in with the rest of them.  As for the block for Overbrook.  Well, I have found the bag with the pieces but I got sidetracked. 

I've been going through old magazines.  This issue is from May of 1996.  Usually the patterns and colors are not something I would work with.  But this particular magazine had a block in it I just had to sit down and make.

It looks super simple and basically is.  But I decided to make it with 1 1/2" scrap blocks.  So it is a lot of little pieces.  If you click on the picture you can see that I used several different background whites and several dark purples. Just don't look at where my seams don't match up.  Using the 1 1/2" squares they should finish at 1" and the block should finish at 8" x 10".  The (old) magazine gave templates to use.  The templates don't show sizes on them.  But laying my ruler on the picture shows a 2 1/4" piece.  I used my Easy Angle ruler to make the 1/2 square triangle blocks. 

The last thing I need is another project to start.  But I will probably try making this again using 2" squares.  Sometimes you just have to jump into something or risk forgetting about it.

My bow tie top is done.  I got the back made and pinned it yesterday.  So I need to get my B.O.M. blocks done so I can switch my machine over to quilting mode.  And get in that mind set.  Maybe that's why it was so easy to talk myself into the Iris block.

Since the bow tie top is done I needed a new leader/ender project.  So I've decided to make scrappy nine patch blocks.

I started by just putting a light with a dark.  After getting a pile of them I added a light to the other end for the center strip or a dark to it for the outer strip.  Which should eventually end up being a pile of 9 patch blocks that will finish at 3".  Evidently, I am a glutton for punishment and just can't seem to steer myself away from the little pieces.

Happy quilting.


No comments: