Happy to be Scrappy

Happy to be Scrappy

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Bonus Triangles

While I was making my Orca Bay top I was using these red and white and the blue and white bonus triangles as my leader/enders.  They measure 2 1/2" after being trimmed down.  There are 102 of the red and about as many of the blue.


The entire time I was sewing them I just kept thinking about doing more flying geese.  Then I laid a few out in the pinwheel design and now I think that is the way I am going to have to go.  There aren't enough to make much of anything. But the lucky thing is I still have over 3 yards of the background fabric.

These bonus triangles are from this quilt.


I made this top several years ago.  I had to flip through several of my notebooks to find the pattern I used.  What surprised me is that it is a Bonnie Hunter pattern called Fourth of July .  You can find the pattern for free on her blog.  This was made long before I was a daily follower of Bonnie's blog.  I remember searching for scrap quilts using red/white/blue and this is what I came up with.  I never would have guessed that a few years later I would have made so many of her patterns.  Someday when I learn to do something besides straight line and meandering this will get quilted.   It needs something a little more special in the white areas. So in the mean time it has stayed folded up on my quilt rack.  I had to move 4 other tops before I got down to this one.  Guess I better learn how to quilt.

Happy Sewing

Julie

No comments: