I started with this. These are shirts I have been buying at Salvation Army. All plaid and all 100% cotton. Jennifer and I have been having fun going to look for them. So far there are 15 different shirts/materials.
This is what I have ended up with. Lots and lots of usable material. At this point I am not planning to mix this with my quilt shop cottons. I'm just hoping to get something made with these plaids. The shirts were a Bonnie Hunter idea from her blog Quiltville quips and snips. The plaids may be too busy to use on their own. I'll just have to see what it looks like. Whatever "it" may be.
And this is what I have been playing around with. No it's not an original idea. But I don't have a pattern for this so I sat down and figured it out. The small one is only 4" and not quite as big as I wanted. So on to the 5" block. Much better. The large one is 10" and has the 5" block for a center.
I have wanted a quilt with a Churn Dash block in block for years. Between the Churn Dash and a Star pattern I wouldn't be able to say which was my favorite. I carry around a bag that I made from a Georgia Bonesteel churn dash pattern that was done in red/white and blue. It was a difficult pattern to follow and I knew I could do better, so I did. Yipee! Hopefully, I will have lots to share in the near future.