Happy to be Scrappy

Happy to be Scrappy

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Grandma's Recipe Box



Last week mom offered to give me grandma's ugly old yellow tin recipe box. She didn't put it quite like that, but anyway. It sure isn't much to look at but I just happen to collect things just like that. Not much to look at but perfect in every way to me.

This box brought back a treasure trove of memories for me.

Breakfast at Granddad's and Grandma's. We would be sitting at the table finishing up our ALL BRAN cereal (loved that stuff) and he would lean down and give her a kiss as he headed out the door to go to work.

The cake's she would bake in her square electric skillet. Never have seen or known of anyone else doing that.

She would make Blueberry Salad for family dinners. I've never been sure if anyone really liked it or not. But I'm happy to share the memory and the recipe with you.

Blueberry Salad
1 can blueberry pie filling
1 lg pkg black cherry jello
1 sm can crushed pineapple (drained)
1/2 cup cool whip and 1/2 cup mayonnaise
refrigerate 2 hrs

After a discussion with mom I now know that you stir together the pie filling, the dry jello and the pineapple. Put it in a nice serving bowl. Stir together the cool whip and mayonnaise spread over the top and refrigerate for two hours.

I think the mayonnaise is what throws people off this recipe. So personally I would be thrilled to eat it now if the mayonnaise were left out and just use cool whip.

No comments: