Happy to be Scrappy

Happy to be Scrappy

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Catching Up

These 2019 birthday postcards for Allison and Grace were made at the beginning of February. Yes, I shamelessly use pictures I see on the internet for my cards.  I would never be able to come up with all of these myself. Unfortunately,  I don't know who to give credit to. But just know that their contribution is appreciated.


These are the colors I went with for my version of Bonnie Hunter's Good Fortune mystery quilt. She used orange where I used yellow and blue where I used black. I was going for more of a Christmas look on mine.  Not sure I achieved that but I do like the colors.  The final border will be green and yellow.  It's currently my leader ender.  I didn't start this project until she was almost done giving the clues.


This rug is one of two that I made for Christmas presents.  This one was made for daughter Jennifer from Kaffe Fassett fabrics.  They are all the same print just different colors.  And it looks like two of her three cats approve. I definitely want to make at least one rug for myself. The problem is I can't decide on what colors I want.  My rugs were made using 2 1/2" strips of batting and 2 1/2" strips of fabric. They were easy to make and used up quite a bit of the strips of batting left after trimming a quilt. There was a lot of difference in the colors of fabrics on Grace's rug and I'm not a fan of where the light and dark strips meet. I will probably try to stick with closer shades of fabric for future projects.

Jennifer's rug

Grace's rug
On February 9th mom passed away at the age of 88.  She was my mother, my friend and my quilting buddy. I will sorely miss our time together. I don't care how old they are, how old your are, or how long you've known it was inevitable, the loss is still overwhelming.

  October 2018




At the visitation for mom we all brought some of the quilts she had made and given to us.  These are a few of mine. The quilt on the left "water wheel?" has some of the fabrics in it that she had used to make shirts and dresses for my sister Joyce and I when we were kids. There are some other fabrics I can pick out and remember from my childhood too.  The Irish Chain were squares that her grandmother had cut out and then many, many years later mother sewed into this twin size quilt. On the quilts that were old or were made from old family fabrics or blocks, mom always put a good descriptive label.  The one folded on top was given to me the year she made a quilt for each of us girls.  They were each gift wrapped and we chose which package we wanted not knowing what was inside.  I think we were all pleased with the quilts we got that year.  The day of the visitation I gave that quilt to my granddaughter Allison.  Mom hadn't made her a baby quilt when she was born so it was a way for her to get a quilt made by her Grammy.

Julie

No comments: