Happy to be Scrappy

Happy to be Scrappy

Friday, August 10, 2018

Border Selections

How does anyone ever decide what fabric they are going to use as a border?  For one thing, I don't like to do borders.  I was pleasantly surprised when the narrow border of pieced flying geese actually fit.  I knew it was supposed to but I didn't figure it would.


Neither of these fabrics does anything great for this quilt.  Of the two I'd lean toward the blue plaid.
I'll probably end up buying something else completely different.


The yellow looks a little washed out to me.  That and it would be terrible to cut and sew on as a border since it would need to line up correctly with the pattern of squares it has.  The yellow may just end up as a back.  When I bought it the thought never occurred to me I'd have to fussy cut  and piece it.  There is 7 or 8 yards of this fabric.  It might make two backs.


Speaking of fussy cutting and piecing, this plaid is yet another example of a fabric I should not buy.  There is around three yards of it.  Not enough for a very big back.  But a back it may become.




Now this I'm happy with.  The picture just shows the 9" blocks laid out but as of now it's all sewn together and is just the right size for a lap quilt.  In my previous post about this there was a neutral fabric with too much black in it.  I did remove that strip and in doing so decided it was too much work to sew back together.  It ended up easier to make a new block. The first block will make a great label for the back.



I took the kids clothes shopping for school.  Oh my, never again all three of them to a store that doesn't have carts.  One or two of them need to be corralled somewhat to help keep little fingers off of things.  One of them, and I'm not saying who, but it wasn't a girl knocked over most of a display of metal drinking bottles.  That made quite the clatter.  You can see how tired Allison was at the end of the day.  But not too tired to eat ice-cream. Grace will be in fifth grade and Allison starts Kindergarten this year.  T is still in preschool.  He just turned four.  Unbelievable.

Tomorrow Burlingame Quilt Guild is having a sew day.  I'm hoping to get a lot done.  I do however, still need to decide which project I'm taking with me.  And what I'm bringing for potluck.

Julie

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Your sampler quilt is so bright and vibrant. I like your first border with the triangles. I think it's sometimes hard to choose borders for multi-colored quilts. I'm sure you'll find the perfect one. Your log cabin quilt looks great. And your grand-girls are beautiful.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Love the FG border - never thought about doing one like that! Your quilts are so nice! You do great with scrappy look! Accidentally found your blog! Neat! Do you send out an email each time you do a Post? I have a blog also - www.doitrightquilter.com.
Have a great day and enjoy those precious babies!